Tuesday, May 29, 2012

twas a good weekend


Sound proud of my little sister, Adrienne. When she walked across the stage, I yelled "ADRIENNE"- you know, Rocky style. She said she heard me :)


I love this picture (even though it's a bit blurry) because our faces are aglow from all the candles. And Frannie doesn't know what to think. She just kept staring wide eyed, and slowly reaching toward them. It made me think of "Finding Nemo" when they see the light deep in the ocean and they're like "What is that? I don't know but I can't look away and I have to touch it" I guess bugs are like that too. 


And I love this next one because Tripp is grinning so proudly at all the candles he blew out for me. This also made me really curious about why the heck we stick candles in our food and blow them out in front of a singing group of people anyway. Wikipedia isn't always the best source, but they usually have the basics. Here's what they said:
The tradition of putting candles on birthday cakes is attributed to early Greeks, who used to place lit candles on cakes to make them glow like the moon... Some say the candles were placed on the cakes because people believed that the smoke of the candle carried their prayers to gods. Others believe the tradition originated in Germany where people used to place a large candle in the center of the cake to symbolize the 'light of life'. 
Other important things I now know:
1. Make a silent wish before blowing out the candles (totally forgot this year)
2. If you blow all your candles out in one breath, your wish will come true and you will have good luck for the next year
3. Smear out the name of the person before slicing the cake to bring good luck. 

I also love learning new random facts. 


Happy Memorial Day.
I am especially thankful for the men and women who serve our country. For those who have given their lives, and to their families they have left behind. For the past couple years, every time I see a soldier in uniform I try to say "Thank you for your service". It is so noble of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment