Monday, August 8, 2011

I want to thank the academy

Since I will likely never make an Oscar acceptance speech, I have to celebrate the smaller achievements in life. Thanks to Jordan G. Lynch, I have read two whole books in the last two years. And enjoyed them immensely. Last year I read Kathryn Stockett's The Help:


One of the ways I like to critique a book is by how much I laugh or cry while I'm reading it. I did a lot of both during this book. Also, I couldn't put it down. I realize there is a lot of controversy surrounding it, but I personally enjoyed it- and I can't wait to see the movie! Recently she gave me Tina Fey's book, Bossypants:

I really appreciated how open Tina was about being a working mom and being a brunette (and body image)- maybe the only 2 things we have in common. Despite the fact that she swears like a northerner, I really enjoyed this one too. I laughed out loud A LOT. And so did my husband anytime I read parts of it to him.

Jordy knows what it takes. Telling me how good a book is, reading me at least 1 excerpt out loud, and then physically putting it in my hands. If it was up to me to go out and get it- it probably wouldn't happen. I am so grateful to have a big sister who is such an inspiration, and makes sure I do my summer reading. Looking forward to next year's pick...

No comments:

Post a Comment